A look back at 2011

Wow. One year ago today, looking ahead to the start of 2011, I had no idea how big of a year it would be. I’m inclined to take a trip down memory lane and reminisce about some of the life-altering highlights.

It hasn’t all been roses, but here are my major happy memories from 2011.


The year started out as planned, with an epic trip to New York City with my best friends from college. It was one of the most fun long weekends ever – and it all started because of a good deal on airfare. We saw shows, toured the sights, ate some wonderful food, participated in our first flash mob (ridiculous), sang karaoke, went clubbing and even toured the New York Times with a former college classmate of mine who works there.

It was also in January that I officially applied for my current position at work. After three years as a multimedia producer working on online projects for all sections of the paper, I became the interactive entertainment producer, helping to plan, launch and maintain a new entertainment site.


February was the month of skiing. Training for my first American Birkebeiner cross country ski race got intense, and I was out on the trails 3-4 times a week, sometimes skiing for hours. The race was at the end of the month, and in single-digit temperatures I finished the 34.5 hilly miles in just under 7 hours. That’s pretty slow compared to most skiers, but relative to my training, it was a fast pace and I was so glad I put myself out there and entered the race (despite nearly getting frostbite on race day).

February was also the month Peter and I officially decided it was time to have kids. Our past discussions of “when” had always been a vague “we’ll know when it’s time,” so it was kind of scary at first when we realized this could be the time. Of course, we had no idea how long (or short) it would take for it to happen.


March was defined by Tap Milwaukee. This is when work got serious on getting the site up and running. It was incredibly stressful and challenging, but also some of the most fun I’ve had at work.


My memories of April are all packed into one crazy, wonderful week. My lifelong friend Sonya got married in Minneapolis in mid-April. My entire family went up there for the wedding and had an awesome weekend.

The Monday after the wedding weekend, I wasn’t thrilled to be back at my desk. But later that afternoon I got possibly the biggest surprise of my life. The Pulitzer Prizes were announced, and not only did a project I had put months of time and effort into win the award for explanatory reporting, but my very own name was included on the team of five people who won it. I still am in a bit of disbelief over this.

(Photo by Kristyna Wentz-Graff)

The week that followed was fun, exciting, overwhelming – and also stressful. Tap Milwaukee launched one week later.

(And yeah, I somehow found time to make cookies.)


Another dear friend, Jay, got married in May. His wedding weekend marked another big milestone in my life. In our hotel room in Cincinnati the afternoon before the wedding, I took a pregnancy test. I didn’t expect anything of it, but I just wanted to be sure it’d be safe for me to drink at the wedding. Lo and behold, it was positive. I couldn’t believe it. I expected that moment to be one of pure joy and excitement, but I found myself scared initially. After letting it sink in a little, the excitement came, but despite being surrounded my all my best friends from high school, we had to keep this to ourselves. The weekend’s activities were a ton of fun and kept us distracted enough not to spend every moment thinking about the baby though. I successfully managed to sip Diet Coke at the wedding with no one realizing there was no booze in it. That Sunday, which was Mother’s Day, we called our parents and shared the news.

(Diet Coke or Rum and Coke? No one knows the difference.)

Later in May, I returned to New York City, this time for the Pulitzer Prize ceremony. It was Peter’s first time in the city and proved to be another epic weekend, this time spent sightseeing, visiting my college BFF and celebrating the Pulitzer with my coworkers and parents.

(The entire “class” of this year’s winners. Recognize anyone famous?)

(The team with our editor for the traditional Pulitzer jumping photo. How cool is it that our paper has won so many recent Pulitzers that we actually have traditions around them?)


I turned 25 with not much fanfare, just a nice dinner with Peter at one of my favorite restaurants during Downtown Dining Week.

June is more memorable for the work I did on Tap Milwaukee’s Summerfest coverage, though. [Summerfest is the world’s largest music festival: 11 days, 8 main stages of constant concerts on the Milwaukee lakefront.] This year, I went crazy trying to set up a video interview with every possible [somewhat known] musician playing the fest. The result was a ridiculously busy and complex week and a half of coordinating, shooting, interviewing, editing and posting dozens of videos (with lots of help from an incredible team, of course). I had the pleasure of interviewing Jack’s Mannequin, Cage the Elephant, and Danny Gokey, and shot an epic (I know, I’m using that word a lot in this post, but it’s true) interview with Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips. We spent over an hour with him waiting for a golf cart to take us to the Skyglider, where we conducted the interview from however many feet above the ground.

(Wayne Coyne interview)

(Cage the Elephant interview)


Much, much earlier in the year, I had signed up for the inaugural Summerfest half marathon. Even after becoming pregnant, I planned to run it with my doctor’s blessing. Well, come July, I had gone from being in great shape thanks to all that skiing in February and a good deal of running in March, to losing all my endurance thanks to a super busy work schedule and first trimester fatigue. So I dropped down to the 10K distance, figuring even if I wasn’t all that fast, I could still bang out six miles. I did, but the course was hot, the sun was unrelenting and the race organizers ran out of water, making it a brutal failure for Summerfest and even prompting them to offer partial refunds to all racers. My pregnant brain got confused and I ended up starting the race with the half marathoners, who started 30 minutes before the 10K, which thankfully ensured I had just enough water to make it through unscathed. Had I started with the 10K after the water supply was completely decimated, baby’s first race might have gotten ugly.

My family took a wonderful trip to Glen Arbor, Mich., to visit my Aunt and Uncle at the end of July. Peter and I took a ferry across Lake Michigan to get there, which was exiting in and of itself. We enjoyed absolutely perfect beaches, beautiful hikes, sand dunes, kayaking and lots of family time.

As I look back at my planner, I realize July was also a highly social month for me. I lived it up, going to concerts, movies, dinners and races with friends as much as possible. I started to realize that those kinds of things would take a back seat when the baby arrived, so I stopped feeling bad if the house was a mess or I skipped the gym in favor of something more fun. I’m sure I’ll miss that freedom next summer, so I’m glad I enjoyed it as much as possible while I could.


August was another fun, social month, just like July. At the end of August I had the opportunity to travel to a resort in Tucson, Ariz., for a features journalism conference. Rough, I know. Peter came with and we celebrated our 3-year anniversary. It was a sweet little unofficial “babymoon,” even though I spent part of the time in conference sessions.


Peter turned 28 in September, and we celebrated with a night out in Milwaukee. I took him to dinner at Harbor House and to the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, and we stayed in a hotel downtown thanks to Marriott rewards that needed to be redeemed.

We also hosted a huge feast in September! I roasted my first turkey for a Thanksgiving story I wrote for the Food section, and invited a houseful of guests over to eat it with us. I now have new respect for anyone who hosts a big holiday gathering.


This is the month in which things got real, baby-wise. I had my first baby shower, hosted by my sister and mom. It was so much fun and filled with such love. This was accompanied by a wonderful weekend with college friends (instead of clubbing like we did in New York City in January, we went apple-picking and to a haunted mansion, hehe).

We also made a visit to Peter’s hometown in Missouri for a relaxing weekend free of obligations.


Childbirth classes, two more baby showers, another trip to Peter’s hometown and my hometown and wow — time is flying by and life is so busy I barely have time to breathe.


It all culminates in December! We spent the first week doing all sorts of baby prep – choosing a pediatrician, taking maternity photos, training people at work to do my job, two final baby showers (yeah, busy week) – and then our little guy decided to arrive 3.5 weeks earlier than expected.

Suddenly, our world changed big time! The rest of the month has flown by. Lots of family visits…

Corban’s first Christmas…

Sleepless nights followed by snuggly mornings…

It’s been an amazing month to top off an amazing year. 2012 has big shoes to fill, but somehow I think this little guy will make it a happy new year.

3 thoughts on “A look back at 2011

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s